Bizarre Transgene Idea?

Brad Romney brom at netcom.com
Sat Feb 18 20:36:19 EST 1995

Chris Jones (Chris_Jones at nottingham.ac.uk) wrote:
: In article <3htugf$aou at emory.mathcs.emory.edu> medtjm at bimcore.emory.edu (T. J. Murphy) writes:
: >From: medtjm at bimcore.emory.edu (T. J. Murphy)
: >Subject: Bizarre Transgene Idea?
: >Date: 15 Feb 1995 22:16:47 GMT

: >Problem:  I need massive quantities of a mammalian integral membrane protein.
: >          Bacteria can't handle the protein.

: >Question: Could I make a transgenic tomato to overexpress my protein as a
: >          source for purification?  Has this been attempted?  Any pro's
: >          or con's?

: If yeast don't work then think about baculoviruses but I am not sure how they
: tolerate membrane proteins. I guess you know that membrane proteins are amongt
: the most difficult to express....

: Oh, Yes. Just how much is massive? and whats the coli expression problem. You
: could try a fusion in coli, fusions often lack the lethality that some prots
: show. Good luck

: Chris Jones

I recall in GEN or someother periodical seeing an advertisment for insect
cell membranes preparations containing various mammalian integral
membrane proteins. This was about a year ago.
Baculovirus may be the way to go.

Brad Romney