METHODS, DEMONSTRATING NUTRIENT DEFICENCY

Kathleen M. Heldreth heldreth at esvx12.es.dupont.com
Mon Feb 13 16:17:36 EST 1995

        I would like to demonstrate Nitrogen deficeny, Potassium
deficency, and Potash deficency in soybeans for a class room project.

        I thought the easiest way to demonstrate these plant stresses
would be to:
             1) propagate the soybeans in a metromix type media, (low
                fertility)

             2) feed the control plants NO3, K, and H2PO4, and

             3) feed the demo pots the same amount of the nutrients supplied
                to the control, minus the nutrient I wanted deficent.

        I wondered if there is a better method?  My concern is that
the soil media may still supply enough nutrients to overcome the
deficency I'm trying to create.  What would effectively tie up each
macronutrient and make it unavailable to the plant?

        All methods and comments are welcome!  Thanks!

_kathleen_heldreth_