Carnivorous Plants

Beth Wapelhorst weazel at seanet.com
Mon Feb 13 01:23:29 EST 1995

cluther at hawk.anselm.edu (Christopher Luther) writes:

>Please let me know if you have had any experience with venus fly traps,
>sundews, or pitcher plants.  Any help is welcomed.  I have one of each
>and want to know the correct conditions. Are there any good suppliers of
>these types of plants? Thank you, Chris. cluther at hawk.anselm.edu.

I've had this fly trap for about a year and a half. I just keep it on the
window sill at work (it's not a particularly sunny one). The only thing
I've had to do is keep it wet - it's one of those self-watering pots, and
I keep it full. It's a very spoiled plant, it gets bottled drinking
water, but I think it wouldn't do well with just plain tap.

In the summer, when the flies are out, I catch them and put them in the
freezer for two minutes (no more) to stun them, then I grab them with
tweezers and feed my plant. (yes, I'm a nut)

When winter starts coming around, they start to go dormant and may look
like they're dying, just keep watering them, they'll come back. Last
spring mine bloomed and I have a baby that budded off. That's all you
have to do for them.

sugarbeth
weazel at seanet.com