Boab (Adansonia) Trees in Australia

Jan Forbes Jan_Forbes at gbrmpa.gov.au
Mon Feb 6 18:23:25 EST 1995

I am trying to ascertain how many species of Adansonia occur (naturally
or otherwise) in Australia. In articles published in GEO and Australian
Geographic, Adansonia gregorii is said to be endemic, occurring in NW
Australia, with Adansonia digitata also present in NT and believed to be
naturalised (it is endemic to Africa). "What Tree is That"(Blomberry)
supports this. This info conflicts with the "Atlas of Australian Vascular
Plants" (P. Armstrong was the expert that recviewed this species in this
publication - anyone know where I can find him?) & "Forest Trees of
Australia" (which list only A. gregorii in Aust.) and with the Australian
Plant Name Index, which also records A. stanburyana (I've not heard of
it before).

To deepen the mystery, I have 18 month old plants which I germinated from
seed collected in Broome, WA - definitely A. gregorii (deciduous, etc.).
I also have another plantcpurhased from Fairhill Native Nursery near
Brisbane, QLD, which was labelled 'Adansonia sp.' - morphologically quite
different to my other plants, non-deciduous, and definitely not anything
else eg. Brachychiton sp., which could possibly be confused. Nursery
staff no help. Any further info would be appreciated.