Desert plants

David C. Berner '95 dcberner at COLBY.EDU
Fri Feb 10 20:23:33 EST 1995

Hi.  I'm looking for information about fast growing desert wildflowers.

We've been using a couple of Brassica species (B. juncea and B. napus) to
demonstrate r and K-type selection to Ecological Theory students but we're
not really satisfied with them so we're trying to find something else to
use in the labs.  So,

does anyone have information about fast growing desert annuals, species that
germinate, flower and seed within about sixty days.

also, seed sources.  we've checked native seed/search and have info coming
from a couple of other places.

anyway
here's a list of plants, some were suggested to us by the nice ppl at
Wild Seed, in Tempe Arizona, and others we just picked out of the book
_Plants of the East Mojave_ by Adrienne Knute.

tansy mustard, pepper grass, palmer bead pod, Wallace daisy, filaree,
little gold poppy, desert gold poppy, mexican gold poppy, gold-fields, and
fire wheel

does anyone have information about these plants?  would they fit our needs?
anybody have any other suggestions?

finally, are there any net.resources about desert plants?  a mailing list or
something?

thanks for your time, i tend to ramble :]

-dave berner
dcberner at host0.colby.edu