How to terminate poplars in a treefriendly way ???

Francis A Williamson cfaw at cabrach.demon.co.uk
Thu Feb 9 09:09:47 EST 1995

In article <rms.3.0016F2D5 at euronet.nl> rms at euronet.nl "Frank_Rademaker" writes:

> Can anyone tell me how I environmentally correct kill poplar trees. I heard of
> a beetle that causes the effect, but dont know how to get it. If anyone can
> give me the proper SERIOUS solution ? For those who CAN give me the solution:
> $75,-  reward!

Reply:

I've never needed to kill poplar - my bane is sycamore.
I saw them off, put a cross in the centre of the top of the stump
with the end the chain-saw and fill it with neat Roundup (glyphosate).
I then tie a polythene bag over the top to keep it from being washed
off until it's all absorbed.
None have survived so far, and glyphosate is rapidly biodegraded, so
I regard it as a very friendly method (except for the tree).

--
Francis A Williamson
Lesmurdie House

Tel/Fax +(44) 466 702236