`Lady Anne'(?)

Clarke Brunt clarke at brunt.demon.co.uk
Thu Feb 9 16:06:35 EST 1995

In Article <3haqd7$f7t at hermes.unt.edu> Kelly C. Fox writes:
>I have a quick question.  Yesterday, while browsing through a greenhouse, I
>came across a `Lady Anne', or Arthurium (I think that's what it was.)
>Anyway, there was a notice nearby stating that the propagation of those
>plants was prohibited.  Why is this the case?

Presumably an Anthurium (member or the Araceae) - the flowers usually
consist of a decorative red spathe enclosing the spadix.
I can only presume that 'Lady Anne' is a cultivar, and that someone
is attempting to protect their rights to distribute it by forbidding
you to take cuttings.

While I can see that someone who breeds a desirable plant deserves the
right to profit from it, I find it hard to believe the propagation
for personal use can be forbidden (for sale might be a different
matter). If a bit of the plant falls off and happens to root, then
I can't see that keeping it would be illegal.

Clarke Brunt (clarke at brunt.demon.co.uk