Germination

Elizabeth Winter ez052136 at peseta.ucdavis.edu
Thu Feb 9 11:47:45 EST 1995

On 8 Feb 1995, Robert McGehee wrote:

> 	I am trying to germinate a tomato seeds between two moist
> sheets of paper towels.  I keep it wet but my seeds to not seem
> to be germinating at all.  It has been 5 days and I haven't seen
> any progress.  Does it naturally take this long or is something
> wrong?
>
> Robert
> rmcgehee at freud.inst.com

     The gooey coat that covers tomato seeds probably has inhibitors in
it that prevents the seed from germinating.  Let the seeds dry out just
long enough for that covering to wither and break down.  Then, keep the
seeds moist between paper towels.  Most inhibitors are leached out with a
good water soaking, but, in this case, I think drying is more
appropriate.  Good luck!