aspen removal (fwd)

Dave L Robinson robin019 at MAROON.TC.UMN.EDU
Wed Feb 8 19:13:57 EST 1995

a message mistakenly delivered to me..........

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 08 Feb 1995 10:58:20 -0600 (CST)
From: Christopher T. Cole <colect at CAA.MRS.UMN.EDU>
To: robin019 at maroon.tc.umn.edu
Subject: aspen removal

Robin--

I have cleared acres and acres of aspens and other trees and shrubs, and
talk with other folks who do so in forest and prairie.  The problems with
aspens come down to (1) chemicals are nasty and not always effective, (2)
aspens are clonal, (3) they sucker readily when stems are removed.  I am
skeptical about insects.

The best that I know of is to girdle the stems.  The big advantage of this
is that it prevents the roots from sprouting suckers, since apical
dominance is maintained.  The stems exhaust the roots after a while, and
the plant dies.  The disadvantage is that it is work to do this.  The best
time is during the spring and early summer, but it can be done year
round.  The best tool that I have heard of is one that I have not yet used
myself.  It is a spud made by grinding a car leaf spring so that one end
has a single-faced bevel, and the tip is slightly rounded, so that end is
not square but has a broad curve.  The side ground away is the convex side
of the spring.  To use, the tree is saluted, the spud is jammed
tangentially under the bark, you walk around the tree ripping the bark
off, move onto the next stem, and look forward to lunch.

Hope you do not have too many acres to do, and good luck.

--Chris Cole
Christopher T. Cole
Division of Science & Mathematics
University of Minnesota-Morris