Ragweed in the city

ken harris harris at corona.chem.yale.edu
Wed Feb 8 16:06:17 EST 1995

Claudia A Schaefer (cschaefe at uoguelph.ca) wrote:
: PLEASE remember in your dealings with Ragweed, that it is a NATIVE
: plant.  It is part of our natural flora, and should not be eradicated.

Yes, ragweed is native, and it has its merits, but I think it VERY
unlikely that humans are capable of eradicating it.  The reason it is a
nuisance is that it grows like a weed, meaning that it is capable of
moving in quickly on disturbed or waste ground that is produced by
human activity, just like introduced weedy species so.  In urban areas,
there is no reason that we should favor a plant that causes so many to
be miserable due to the vast clouds of pollen it releases, just because
it happens to be native.  If ragweed were an endangered wildflower I would
say leave it alone if it sprouts, but it can't hurt to make urban life
nicer by having less annoying plants around.

Ken H.