How to terminate poplars in a treefriendly way ???

Elizabeth Winter ez052136 at peseta.ucdavis.edu
Tue Feb 7 18:45:18 EST 1995

On Mon, 6 Feb 1995, Frank_Rademaker wrote:

> Can anyone tell me how I environmentally correct kill poplar trees. I heard of
> a beetle that causes the effect, but don´t know how to get it. If anyone can
> give me the proper SERIOUS solution ? For those who CAN give me the solution:
> $75,-  reward!
>
> Thanks in advance....
>
> Frank

Keep the $75 (unless you care to help out a needy grad student)....but
DON'T use the beetle to kill the poplar trees.  Just cut them down.  If
you want to kill the trees and get rid of them, there is no tree-friendly
way.  Think of it this way - would you rather be shot in the head or wither
away from cancer?
    Anyway, if you use insects, those insects may be harmful to your
other landscaping plants.  There would also be the danger of the insects
spreading to other people's trees.  This could make pretty unfriendly
neighbors!  It is very difficult to get rid of an insect infestation once
one has occurred. So....get out that chainsaw and slice away!>