Help with science project.

Tony Travis ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk
Wed Feb 8 05:28:50 EST 1995

RafiMazor (rafimazor at com.aol) wrote:
: Does anyone know how to quantitatively measure the total amount of sugar
: produced by a plant? This is for a school project. We are growing
: fast-plants (Brassica rapa) and we are trying to determine which
: wavelength of light is optimal for photosynthesis.

Hello, RafiMazor.

You really need to measure dry-matter accumulation because photosynthesis
involves pools of intermediate products and ultimately produces starch.

The simplest method of measuring net dry-matter accumulation is by
weighing the plants (fresh, dry and their ash after combustion).

The simplest method of measuring photosynthesis is by measuring the
volume of oxygen produced by leaf discs using a Warburg apparatus.
This is how 'action' spectra where originally investigated.  A good
plant biology textbook will give you practical details.

	Tony.
Aberdeen, AB2 9SB. UK.                |    fax: +44 (0)224 716687