>From: telem at delphi.com>Newsgroups: bionet.plants
>Subject: Re: Chlorine bleach and plants
>Date: Tue, 7 Feb 95 19:55:05 -0500
>Organization: Delphi (info at delphi.com email, 800-695-4005 voice)
>X-To: Matthew Novak <ez053383 at bullwinkle.ucdavis.edu>
>>Matthew Novak <ez053383 at bullwinkle.ucdavis.edu> writes:
>>The chlorine bleach not only revives plants whose leaves
>suddenly wilt and go limp (including1-2 year old plants
>in the ground), but also perks up tropical hibiscus that just
>aren't thriving. Additionally,I have a 1" seedling in the garage
>(under lights w/ 50+ others) that damped off a week after
>germinating, but was revived with bleach and is still alive.
>Any hibiscus that looks the least bit sickly gets the treatment.
>Bleach is poison? I have noticed that a very strong
>solution, used for house exterior mildew and driveway
>cleaning, seemed to have no deleterious effect on the
>grass. The earth worms didn't like it however.
>> I hope someone can explain why this works.
Tomorrow I'm going to start testing bleach treatment on various problem cutting trays in the
greenhouse. If you can suggest a concentration that would be effective , I'd appreciate it.
I use bleach 2-3 teams a year to kill algae on the concrete walks and on some walls in the
greenhouse. It is very effective at full strength- household concentration -for that purpose.
If it can be used to effectively control phytophtheras and pythium as well, it will save me
thousands of dollars in lost cutting liners.