Chlorine bleach and plants

telem at delphi.com telem at delphi.com
Tue Feb 7 19:55:05 EST 1995

Matthew Novak <ez053383 at bullwinkle.ucdavis.edu> writes:

>:  WAIT A MINUTE! Wait a minute here!  Bleach is toxic. Chlorine is toxic.What is happening
>: here? Plant SHOULD die with pathogen,hein?
>:  Why do the hibiscus survive is the important question, isn't it?
>:  Why do they live and thrive after being hit with bleach? By the way,what happens if bleach is
>: put in the soil of healthy plants?

The chlorine bleach not only revives plants whose leaves
suddenly wilt and go limp (including1-2 year old plants
in the ground), but also perks up tropical hibiscus that just
aren't thriving. Additionally,I have a 1" seedling in the garage
(under lights w/ 50+ others) that damped off a week after
germinating, but was revived with bleach and is still alive.
Any hibiscus that looks the least bit sickly gets the treatment.
Bleach is poison? I have noticed that a very strong
solution, used for house exterior mildew and driveway
cleaning, seemed to have no deleterious effect on the
grass. The earth worms didn't like it however.