telem at delphi.com wrote:
: Hybridizing and raising tropical hibiscus is a hobby of mine.
: Occasionally a plant, whether in the ground or in a gallon
: pot, will almost spontaneously wilt as though it is in need
: of water, but water does no good and the plant dies.
: For whatever reason, a fairly strong chlorine bleach solution
: poured into the pot or around the base of the plant, if it's in
: the ground, will revive the plant in most instances. What's
: happening - is some sort of plant virus being killed by
: the bleach or are nematodes being discouraged or is
: chlorine bleach an elixir to some or most plants?
My guess is that you are dealing with the soil fungus Phytophthora.
Check it out! JULIUS
Greetings from J.H., the learning machine!