Cactus is sick. Please HELP!

J.J.Luck bsu416 at bangor.ac.uk
Fri Dec 15 12:53:04 EST 1995

aqm0521 at is2.nyu.edu (Anna  Meytina) wrote:

>We desperately need help for our big cactus (~4 ft. tall).
>
>I have tryed everything I could think of. I am watering it not more than
>once a month, I have changed the soil in the pot, BUT....
>
>The cactus is getting soft on top an shrinking, one of the parts became
>kind of mooshy and wet (brown spots) on the very bottom of the plant (0-2
>inches from the ground)
>
>We have to save it - it became a "part" of our family.
>
>Any help will be greatly appreciated
>
>	Please send responses to alurye at lehman.com.
>							Thanx
>
>							Alexander Lurye

It sounds like rot. I suggest you chop off the affected part with a sharp
knife to stop it spreading. If this is at the top you should be able to
leave the plant as it is. If it is at the bottom you may need to chop the
whole thing off at the bottom and try to root the remainder in a pot of
clean dry soil.
I suggest you STOP WATERING the plant NOW, this may be the root cause.
There are a few cactus web sites, I suggest doing a NetSearch. The BCSS
has a web presence.
Good Luck

Jason