DNA extractions

Steven Casper casper at scripps.edu
Tue Dec 5 07:26:17 EST 1995

In article <1995Dec4.213748 at emuvax.emich.edu>, bio_hannan at emuvax.emich.edu

<Corinna.Dutton at newcastle.ac.uk> writes:
> > I have had problems purifying genomic DNA for southerns from potato..
> You might want to try BioClean ..........

   Hi,

   I would like to add a caution to the BioClean purification method.  The
glassmilk is actually small silicate shards with rough, sharp edges.
While this substance works very well in the purification of plasmid DNA, I
would not necessarily use it for genomic.  Sharp micro objects and long
DNA strands don't go well together, in my opinion.  If this is used in
purification, extreme care must be applied when the glassmilk is in
contact with the DNA to reduce shearing or nicking.

   Good Luck,

   Steven