Croton Oil

DImagin dimagin at aol.com
Sat Dec 2 05:38:42 EST 1995

When I was working as a cell biologist, we would use phorbol esters as
tumor promoters.  I gather that the phorbol esters were originally
isolated from croton oil, pressed from the seeds of croton tiglium.  Can
anyone tell me more about these?  I have occasionally seen the latter
offered for sale - they are attractive plants with copper and gold
dagger-shaped leaves.  How dangerous are they?  Do the leaves or sap of
the plant have tumor promoter activity as well?

Thanks,

Bruce Hubbard