link between einstein and lux

Jonathan B. Marder MARDER at agri.huji.ac.il
Fri Dec 1 01:28:52 EST 1995

In article <DIq5xA.Jy4 at yew.pfc.forestry.ca>,
   rwinder at PFC.Forestry.CA (Richard Winder) wrote:
>In article <49cvbq$72t at mserv1.dl.ac.uk>, Sonia Amorosi
><sonia at eagle.bio.unipr.it> writes:
>>Hello.
>>Could anybody tell us which is the correlation between lux and
einstein?
>>Thank you very much
>
>There is very little correlation, especially if the spectral
>distribution of the light source isn't specified.  Lux expresses light
>intensity in terms of the sensitivity of the human eye.  An einstein is
>a mole (Avogadro's number) of photons.  Even if you do know the
>spectral distribution of the light source, converting lux to, say,
>microeinsteins of photosynthetically active photons
>per meter square per second is dicey at best.  -RSW

While fully agreeing with Winder, I can give a VERY ROUGH estimate for
fluorescence strip lights (as you might use in a growth room): A typical
PAR measurement of 50 microeinstein per sq. metre per second would be
equivalent to about 5000 lux.

Jonathan B. Marder                 ,      Department of Agricultural Botany
E-mail: MARDER at agri.huji.ac.il     |      The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
Phone: (08 or +9728) 481918        | /\/  Faculty of Agriculture
Fax:   (08 or +9728) 467763        |/  \  P.O.Box 12, Rehovot 76100, ISRAEL