Black flowers

Gavin Inglis gavini at festival.ed.ac.uk
Thu Apr 27 11:29:51 EST 1995

Apologies if this is an inappropriate place for this question; I can't
find an FAQ and my knowledge of biology extends about as far as the
difference between vertebrates and invertebrates.

I'm writing a bit of fiction, and for a pivotal scene I'd like to include
a black flower, probably with black petals and a green stalk. There is
some significance in the combination of colours.

I didn't expect to stumble across one in the street, exactly, but I spent
an afternoon in the library with a big stack of weird and wonderful flowery
books and couldn't find anything. Very dark brown was about as close as I
got.

I have a dim fear that no such thing exists despite half-informed opinions
heard about black tulips and black orchids.

If anybody could put me straight on this point, I'd be real pleased,
especially if it's something a person in (say) Edinburgh could obtain.
If you have a picture on-line, I would probably fall over with gratitude.

Thanks folks.

Gavin.