Black flowers

mel turner mturner at acpub.duke.edu
Thu Apr 27 17:07:51 EST 1995

In article <D7pCHr.Mr3 at festival.ed.ac.uk> gavini at festival.ed.ac.uk (Gavin Inglis) writes:
>Apologies if this is an inappropriate place for this question; I can't
>find an FAQ and my knowledge of biology extends about as far as the
>difference between vertebrates and invertebrates.
>I'm writing a bit of fiction, and for a pivotal scene I'd like to include
>a black flower, probably with black petals and a green stalk. There is
>some significance in the combination of colours.

Check out  the species of  _Tacca_  (Taccaceae) in your flower picture books.
It includes species sold as tropical greenhouse plants, sometimes called the
"bat flower".    The dark flowers  (inflorescences, actually) can be pretty
sinister-looking, with broad  (almost black) winglike  bracts and other long
dangly streamer-like ones...  (Not sure about the green stalk you desire, but
the leaves are green.

mdt