AMAZING PLANTS??? HELP!!!

Coscolluela Eileene ecoscoll at ux4.cso.uiuc.edu
Tue Apr 25 20:44:58 EST 1995

Gary Poyssick (Courseware at interramp.com) wrote:
: Orchid roots (especially those on ³epiphytic² or air-growing) have
: been used in Chinese medicine for thousands of years. The orchid
: takes its nutrients from a unique layer of cells on the surface of the
: air-bound roots called ³vellum² It turns green when wet, white when dry,
: really cool to look at. Go to an orchid nursery and you¹ll see what I
: mean.

	The layer of cells on the layer of orchid roots are called
	velamen, not vellum.  This layer ranges from two-cell thickness
	to over 18 cells.  Most of the cells are emppty, having lost
	their cellular material (I have forgotten where they lose it
	to).  These act as a sponge and take up water.

Eileene Coscolluela		  |  "All our science, measured against
University of Illinois		  |   reality, is primitive and childlike --
ecoscoll at ux4.cso.uiuc.edu	  |   and yet it is the most precious thing
http://ux4.cso.uiuc.edu/~ecoscoll/|   we have."  --Albert Einstein