Help with Tulips

Kris Benarcik kbenarc1 at cc.swarthmore.edu
Wed Apr 26 13:48:08 EST 1995

In article <0jaHN8m00iV881ekxa at andrew.cmu.edu>, "Michelle J. Sturdevant"
<msdw+ at andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

> I know nothing aobut plants.  A friend of mine gave me some tulips
> (Potted and in full bloom), they are now about dead.  Is there anything
> I can do to save th bulbs so I might plant them next year?  When should
> they be planted?  How should the bulbs be stored before planting?
> HELP!
>
> Michelle

Michelle-

It is virtually impossible to replant tulips that have been forced and have
them bloom again, but if you want to try, they should be planted out into
the garden now (agout 6 " deep), fertilized and allowed to go through their
natural cycle.  Hybrid tulips are not particularly long-lived even in the
garden and usually quit blooming after 3 or 4 years.  For best bloom, we
recommend treating them as annuals.

Kris Benarcik
The Scott Arboretum
of Swarthmore College