arid climate/drought tolerants

Alice Ramirez aramirez at agsm.ucla.edu
Mon Apr 24 17:01:00 EST 1995

Martha, You might want to double check, but I think the Chinese jujube
(Zizyphus Jujuba) might work.  This member of the buckthorn family
bears fruits apx the size of large olives that are sweet and taste
vaguely of apples.  They are also known as Chinese Dates and aare what
you get when you buy a box of "red dates" in a chinatown.

They are droubt toerant and deciduous, growing back leaves in about
March.  Such a tree MIGHT need a little watering to get it established
in the beginning, but should do ok once its roots have taken hold.  I
recall reading that they are used as a commercial crop in someplace
like Kazakhistan.  (or maybe that's Uzbekhistan)

If you choose a named variety, such as Li or Lang, you should get
pretty good fruit.

They also spread from the roots, so when you come back you might have
a small orchard.  :-)