Two questions: light and jade plants

Gary Poyssick Courseware at interramp.com
Fri Apr 21 11:06:45 EST 1995

hodgesc at math.vt.edu (Chuck Hodges) wrote:

> Question 1.) I know that natural light is best for plants.  I would
> like to know what type of light benefits plants if natural light is
> unavailable.  Are regular light bulbs o.k.?
>
> Question 2.)  I have a jade plant (tree) that I have had for two years.
>  It has grown very little.  It looks very healty, just short.  It is
> only about 6 inches high and it was about 5 inches high when I bought
> it.  I would like to know exactly how to care for it so that it has a
> chance to thrive.

> Chuck Hodges                   Internet:  hodgesc at math.vt.edu
> Mathematics Department
> Virginia Tech
> Blacksburg, VA  24061-0123
>
> The views I express are my own and not those of Virigina Tech.

Oh! and the jade plant. Best if FULL sun. Water it once a week in the
summer, providing it with a very low-nitrogen (first number) fertilizer
Most bloom foods will work fine, and are cheaper than special cactus
or succulent food. It likes to eat in my experience. In the winter, let
it dry out pretty much, only watering it when it appears really
dry and a little shriveled. I live in Tampa, and the winters are very
humid, so we hardly water at all in winter. It should grow pretty fast.
Oh. Don¹t feed it in the winter either.