Antimicrobial substances in dandelions??

Asad A. Husain aahusain at prairienet.org
Fri Apr 21 12:11:05 EST 1995

Hello. As a sophomore at University High School in Urbana, Illinois, I
plan to begin a general microbiology research project and request input
from anyone based on the ideas and procedures I have developed.  I will
try to keep this message thorough, yet concise.

The research I plan to begin next week is to discover whether or not
dandelions, Taraxacum officinale,Ê carry any antibacterial or antibiotic
properties.

I have already harvested nearly three gallons of dandelions, cleaned
them, and have separated (a) the roots, (b) the leaves, and (c) the stem
and bloom. These three parts are intended to be ground up and extracted.
However, I am not certain as to which solvents, if any, I should try for
the most pure extract.  I feel it reasonable to attempt a 100% extraction
for my first batch and see whether or not the freshness of the plant
itself is enough for decent extracts.

After the extraction is completed, I will prepare separate sensitvity
disks from the extracts of each part of the dandelion.  Once this is
done, I hope to prepare approximately 25-30 plates of Escherichia Coli
in a nutrient agar culture media. I will then place the sensitivity disks
in the plates and check the cultures at least once every 10-12 hours.
Recording of all data will be based on which portion of the dandelion
affects the growth of E. coli, the amount of inhibited E. coli growth,
and the time period in which the dandelion's distinct antibacterial
property is confirmed.

Once I feel thorough with the use of E. coli, I intend to extend my
research on various other bacteria, such as staphylococcus,
streptococcus, enterobacter aerogenes, etc.  However, until then, I hope
to successfully complete this round of experiments.

I would like to thank you for your time and hope to receive any comments,
questions, suggestions, or guidelines.

Asad Husain
1519 Yorkshire Drive
Champaign, Illinois 61821