spirulina culture

Mon Apr 10 10:50:54 EST 1995

In article <D6CuJI.3H3 at freenet.carleton.ca>,
af017 at FreeNet.Carleton.CA (David R. Smith) writes:

>Spirulina which I understand is not strictly an algae but
>rather a cyanobacterium...I am interested in the type used
>to feed fish.
>Is it difficult to grow.  I have been told it can be grown
>in a mild manure tea in a water tank (with sun of course) or
>with an inexpensive prep like miracle grow.
>I cannot afford to do a lab level culture growing project, and
>would like to grow it only to feed my fish, and as a supplement
>for my pet dog occasionally.
>I was told it grows often in ponds with high nitro content,
>but wonder if it dominates or whether other toxic strains could
>intermingle.
>david smith

A friend of mine, Ade Ejire, did an elaborate growth studies
on Spirulina a while back for his graduate work to determine requirements
for various elements.  Suggest you contact the Botany Dept. of North Carolina
State Univ. in Raleigh for more info.  A long time ago, their number was
(919)-737-2727.     -RSW

  RICHARD WINDER                    Title: Research Scientist
  Canadian Forest Service           Phone: (604) 363-0773