Evolution of the Fucales

Jarmo Uusitalo algjku at algae.gu.se
Wed Jan 5 12:50:53 EST 1994

Dear Netters,

I work with the photosynthesis and carbon uptake of the Fucales (the brown
algal group which includes the wracks). They are thought to have originated
in Australia and spread northwards, and presently seem to be splitting into
new species. So I would like to find out if there has been any recent work
on the evolution, distribution patterns and biogeography of this group.

I have the articles of M. Clayton (1984, Evolution of the Phaeophyta with
particular reference to the Fucales) and M. Nizamuddin (1970,
Phytogeography of the Fucales and their seasonal growth), and have been
looking for new data the last few years.

Unfortunately, I have not found anything I can use, but I suspect that I
might have missed things like book chapters etc. dealing with the subject.
So if there is anyone on the net that can give me a reference or two on the
subject I would be glad to have it.

 Jarmo Uusitalo
(jarmo.uusitalo at algae.gu.se)
Kristineberg Marine Research Station, Sweden