Chuck Amsler's cool whites

BIOHEAD GELLMORE at PEARL.TUFTS.EDU
Tue Apr 19 15:53:21 EST 1994

I have a series of engineering bulletins that provide the absorption spectra
of light emitted by many different of light bulbs (tungsten, fluorescent,
various high-pressure halides)

The table in front of me lists several types of fluorescent lights:
	Cool White, Warm White, Daylight, White, Cool White Deluxe,
	Warm Light Deluxe, Natural, and Gro-Lux.

The emmission spectrum for Cool White is as follows, in % of light energy
emitted from the bulb:
	below 380 nm	1.7%
	380-430 nm	7.6%  (violet)
	430-490 nm     21.0%  (blue)
	490-560 nm     24.8%  (green)
	560-590 nm     18.4%  (yellow)
	590-630 nm     17.9%  (orange)
	630-700 nm      8.6%  (red)

In another bulletin, I see the actual graph of the spectral energy distribution
for a cool white lamp. That graph shows a peak at 400nm, at 430 nm, and a
broad shoulder at 530-570 nm, with a sharp drop off between 600 and 680.

					Hope this helps,
							George Ellmore
							Biology
							Tufts University