protein synth.

bmb1n3ag at leeds.ac.uk bmb1n3ag at leeds.ac.uk
Sat Apr 9 08:21:29 EST 1994

can anyone give me an explanation of the biphasic protein prod'n i have seen
in primary leaves of an etiolated plant whrn putin constant light for 24
hours, sampled every three hours.

There are two bursts of protein prod'n, 1st. at 6 hours, the 2nd. at 15-18
hours, each step is approx a doubling of the previous value.

Am I seeing a real result, or poor exp. technique. I believe that RUBISCO
small subunit follows this pattern, am I correct?. Could the rubisco
promoter/enhancer sequence be common to very many proteins, and therefore be
acted upon by the same trans acting element? I understand that many genes are
acted upon by the same cascade of activation leading from phytochrome, would
this accoutn for the protein values I am getting?  Does anyone know of anyone
who has looked into this.

Thank You

bmb1n3ag at south-01.novell.leeds.ac.uk