insect

John Cheeseman j-cheeseman at uiuc.edu
Fri Apr 1 10:19:21 EST 1994

In article <2nc52m$8vp at gould.ualr.edu>, dodderer at uamont.edu wrote:

> My family has just started a small greenhouse and nursery business (about
> two years now), and we can't seem to get rid one particular insect.  We
> call them whiteflies, they're real small flying bugs who love to hang around
> hibiscus and datura almost exclusively.  I've tried Sevin and malathion but
> just can't seem to shake these pesky creatures.  My local coop ext. service
> said that malathion would do the trick.  Can anyone help?

If you are going to use malathion, save your money and spray water.  The
whiteflies could care less. There are other insecticides, e.g. maverick,
which do better, or you could use Enstar (sp?) which is an insect growth
regulator and prevents the normal development of the flies, or you could
release Encarsia formosa, a biological control wasp (sold by Peaceful
Valley Farm Stores in California somewhere, but undoubtedly available
elsewhere).  These are really effective little parasites, but you then have
to make sure that all the rest of the program is compatible with biological
controls.

By leaving the doors open in nice weather, you are trying to do something
similar by letting things in that eat the white flies.  If you spray after
that, you kill them as fast or faster than you get rid of the pests.