Freezing plant tissue culture cells (?!)

Dave Harry deh at s27w007.pswfs.gov
Thu Nov 4 18:12:04 EST 1993

In article <9311042041.AA22731 at sparc03.cc.ncsu.edu> alvin at unity.ncsu.edu writes:

>	Does anyone know of a way to freeze these cells
>down so they can be stored long-term (6 months or so)
>and then revived?  Is there any way to store plant
>cell lines?

I saw your other post but didn't respond because my memory on this is
vague.  But given desparation, you might try checking the literature (8
years or so ago) under K.G. Lark (Utah).  His lab was doing a bunch of
stuff with soybean cultures methinks, and I somehow recall a method to
dehydrate (via PEG or something) and then freeze the cultures, to revive
them later on.  I checked my references, but I no longer have it.

Good luck.
Dave Harry