Withering Heights

Brian H. Taylor BRIAN at BIO.TAMU.EDU
Wed Mar 31 11:27:34 EST 1993

 Horvath writes:
> I am using carbenicillin to cure transformed cell cultures of Agro.
> Seems to work fine.  Good luck.

 We also use carbenicillin to remove Agrobacterium after tomato and
 tobacco transformation.  Our experience is that it works OK (there
 is some carryover of Agro), but it does have some deleterious effects
 on the regenerants.  One obvious effect is that when transgenic
 shoots are rooted in media containing carb the roots are often
 thickened and slow growing.  I would like to hear of any effective
 (cost and otherwise) alternatives.

Brian H. Taylor                         *   Ad hoc loc and
Dept. of Biology, Texas A&M University  *   quid pro quo,
College Station, TX  77843-3258         *   so little time,
                                        *   so much to know!
Phone:  (409) 845-7754                  *
FAX:    (409) 845-2891                  *   Jeremy Hilary Boob
                                        *   (The Nowhere Man)