In search of the elusive Mycologist.

Mon Mar 22 13:50:09 EST 1993

In article <1993Mar19.184718.21732 at netcom.com>, czs at netcom.com
(Christian Smith) writes:

>Well, since you asked...    Lately there seems to be a lot of interest in
>cultivating and eating species of mushrooms other than agarics (at least
>on the west coast of the US).  I realize that the rest of the world is way
>ahead of the US in this.  My personal interest is in collecting edible
>strains potentially useful for commercial production, develpoing new
>strains through breeding and methods for spawn production.  I am also
>interested in species that are useful for generating compost as well
>as being edible.  If any of you have colleagues interested in Mycology,
>please encourage them to get an account.  This is a great topic for
>international discussion.

I'll try this post again.  Now that morels have been grown in culture
with a small degree of success, it looks like the highly edible basidios
and ascos that require myocorrizal associations for fruiting are the last
frontier in (indoor) cultivation of fungi.  I'd like to start a discussion
in this area- how would you get these things to fruit in tree-free culture?
What is it about the mycorrhizal association that triggers fruiting- steady
nutrient supply? growth regulators? critical mycelial mass?  water relations?
Or are there more subtle host recognition phenomena involved?  There must be
some work on truffles (an ascomycete)- but I haven't come across much of it.

  RICHARD WINDER                    Title: Visiting Fellow
  Forestry Canada                   Phone: (604) 363-0600