The Use of Plants to Treat Wastewater

Tony Travis ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk
Wed Mar 17 08:14:08 EST 1993

Vance Bell (vbell at edu.upenn.sas.mail) wrote:
: I am greatly interested in the possiblity of using plants, and/or entire
: ecosystems to treat wastewaste.  I understand that work on this has been
: attempted in Northern California; Sugarbush, Vermont; Louisiana; Cape May,
: Massachussetts, and possibly other places.

I don't have any references, Vance :-(

.... but a lot of work has been done on the water hiacynth (Eichhornia)
which apparently thrives when growing on all sorts of waste/polluted
water, and improves the quality of the water in the process.

I think there was a project to use the plant material produced, but I'm
uncertain what for because accumulation of toxic substances would make
it useless for feeding animals.

	Tony.