What is Internet Gopher.

cherry at OPAL.MGH.HARVARD.EDU cherry at OPAL.MGH.HARVARD.EDU
Sun Mar 7 08:20:01 EST 1993

In article <1993Mar3.105352.23355 at gserv1.dl.ac.uk>, ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk (Tony Travis) writes:
>: The amount of information that is available via the Internet Gopher is
>: exploding. This includes information on plants. Notably five plant
>: genome databases are available via Gopher now: Arabidopsis, maize,
>: soybean, pine tree, and wheat.  Other types of information are also
>: available like the Herbarium and ecological databases, and more are
>: coming.
>
>I think that bionet.plants is _exactly_ the sort of place to let people
>know about plant-related databases available for ftp or via gopher, so
>please don't hesitate to post here.

I can add more information that was not specifically included in my
original message. The hostnames of those sites providing a Gopher
server related to plant biology is listed below. I try to keep this
list current on the Gopher that I run--its called the Arabidopsis
Research Companion.

If you have Unix or VMS gopher client you can connect directly to a
different gopher servers by added the alternate hostname to the
command line. For example to connect with the Arabidopsis gopher:

    gopher weeds.mgh.harvard.edu

For the Macintosh gopher clients this is a slightly differ procedure.
Use the "Another Gopher..." item under the File menu in TurboGopher or
use the "New Gopher Link" item under the Internet menu in GopherApp.

On the Arabidopsis gopher I maintain a folder listing a variety of
Gopher, WAIS and FTP servers collected into topic groups.

Here is the list of plant related Gopher servers. If the Path is
included then you will need to navigate down a level or two to find
the listed information once connected to the Host.

Name=Australian National Botanic Gardens
Host=155.187.10.12

Name=Australian National University BioInformatics
Host=life.anu.edu.au

Name=Beanbag - Newsletter on research in legume systematics
Path=1/e-serials/Science/beanbag
Host=nic.cic.net

Name=Biodiversity and Biological Collections at Harvard
Host=huh.harvard.edu

Name=Botanical Electronic News (British Columbia)
Path=1/e-serials/Science/ben
Host=nic.cic.net

Name=Ecological Data Exchange at Yale
Path=1/Enterprise/Academic/Forestry
Host=gopher.yale.edu

Name=Forestry Library at U. Minnesota
Host=minerva.forestry.umn.edu

Name=Harvard Gray Herbarium Index of New World Plants
Path=1/authority_files/botany/gray_cards
Host=huh.harvard.edu

Name=Arabidopsis Research Companion (AAtDB)
Host=weeds.mgh.harvard.edu

Name=Soybean Data (Soybase, Iowa State)
Host=mendel.agron.iastate.edu

Name=USDA Extension Service's Gopher Server
Host=ra.esusda.gov

Name=Dendrome (Institute of Forest Genetics)
Host=s27w007.pswfs.gov

Name=GrainGenes, the Triticeae genome Gopher
Host=greengenes.cit.cornell.edu

Name=Maize Genome Database Gopher (Experimental)
Host=teosinte.agron.missouri.edu

Mike Cherry
cherry at frodo.mgh.harvard.edu
AAtDB Project