Continuous light, is it ok?

Bill Williams bwilliam at oyster.smcm.edu
Tue Feb 16 12:35:39 EST 1993

In article <204 at kixtal.UUCP> Richard Soderberg, micjrs at mica.mic.ki.se
writes:
>Is it possible to make a general statement about the effects of
>*continous*
>light applied to indoor plants?
>My goal is to increase the volume of green leaves, not the protein
>contents etc.
>(I'm gonna look at my flowers, not eat them!)

In a word, no.  Some plants seem to do just fine on a regime of
continuous light, while others (tomatoes come to mind) seem to have a
hard time of it in such a regime.  Most plants in my experience are NOT
like tomatoes, and so the best guess is probably that it's all right.
Try it and watch 'em!
William E. Williams, bwilliam at oyster.smcm.edu
Divison of Natural Sciences and Mathematics
St. Mary's College of Maryland
St. Mary's City, MD 20686