Introduction to bionet.plants

Tony Travis ajt at swan.doc.ic.ac.uk
Fri May 22 19:44:22 EST 1992

This is my first message to the bionet.plants news group and I would
like to start the discussion by introducing myself and describing my
area of interest.  I received a lot of e-mail from plant-biologists on
the net during the discussions about creating bionet.plants and it
would be a good starting point if everyone who mailed me posts a short
'hello' message like this so we can introduce ourselves to each other.

I'm new to bionet, but I've been active on USENET for several years.  I
maintain an archive of Minix and Linux news articles at Imperial
College in London, where I read news, but I work as a senior scientific
officer at the Rowett Reseach Institute in Aberdeen.  The Rowett
Research Institute carries out reseach into a wide range of scientific
areas concerned with human and animal nutrition.

My own work concerns the relationship between the anatomy of plants and
their nutritive value.  I am particularly interested in the impact of
selection pressure in favour of resistance to lodging damage on the
nutritive value of crops.  At present, I am using image analysis to
measure the area and thickness of cell walls automatically and I would
be interested in discussing the use of image analysis techniques
generally in plant biology.  I'm also interested in investigating the
extent to which crop plants adapt to mechanical stress in comparison to
inherent varietal differences in anatomy that may reduce stem strength.

	Tony

--
    Tony Travis <ajt at uk.ac.sari.rri>  | Dr. A.J.Travis