Hello from a taxonomist

klier at iscsvax.uni.edu klier at iscsvax.uni.edu
Sun May 24 11:19:21 EST 1992

Hi!
  I'm a plant taxonomist who has primarily worked in the midwestern
US, though I've got some familiarity with California's and Florida's
flora.  Current research involves looking at gene flow within and
between species and populations using isozymes.  Current victims
of my interest are the midwestern yellow and white ladyslipper
orchids (Cypripedium candidum, C. pubescens, C. kentuckiense,
C. parviflorum and introgressants), the prairie white-fringed
orchid species pair (Platanthera praeclara and P. leucophaea),
and a miserable little green-flowered milkweed, Asclepias meadii.

  Other research in the lab includes a grad student who is trying
to isolate the mycorrhizal symbiont of the Platantheras.

  I'm also heavily involved in teaching plant systematics and a
variety of environmental science classes for non-biology majors.
You'll also find me hanging out in rec.gardens (where there is
often quite a bit of discussion of cultural information on wildflowers,
and some discussion of herbalism (though there seems to be
more of that on sci.medicine).

  Gotta go.  The ladyslippers are blooming!

Kay Klier    Biology Dept  University of Northern Iowa   Cedar Falls