Possible Discussions

READY at UTBC01.CM.UTEXAS.EDU READY at UTBC01.CM.UTEXAS.EDU
Tue May 26 08:19:52 EST 1992

Netters,

	Dr. Tony Travis starts out the newsgroup by introducing himself,
which seems like a first class idea for most of us. So I'll follow suit. I am
probably rather marginal to plant-biology. Ours is a molbio/xtallography lab
with current interest in plant ribosome inhibitors (ricin, pokeweed antiviral
protein, etc.) and chitinases. We got into plants because that's where the
proteins were. I would look forward to discussions on enzymology, plant
proteins of medicinal significance, plant defense proteins and plant biotech
in general.
	On another note, the idea of wildflower garden discussions on the net
sounds okay to me. I doubt the taxpayers would be ill served by using their
resources for such discourse. Indeed, based on the proliferation of native
plant nurseries (at least in this area), it is likely to provide more immediate
benefit to the economy than most of the things discussed in the newsgroups.
On a personal level, I'm always interested in things which:
	(a) grow on limestone with traces of poor soil interspersed.
	(b) don't require watering.
	(c) taste really awful to whitetail deer.

Regards,
Mike Ready

   | Dr. Michael P. Ready                     | READY at UTBC01.CM.UTEXAS.EDU |
   | Clayton Foundation Biochemical Institute | Phone: (512)471-3625       |
   | University of Texas                      | FAX:   (512)471-8696       |
   | Austin, Texas 78712                      |                            |