Image Analysis of Plant Structure

Donald J Casadonte dcasadon at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
Tue May 26 09:37:39 EST 1992

In article <1992May23.004422.14129 at doc.ic.ac.uk> ajt at swan.doc.ic.ac.uk
(Tony Travis) writes:  At present, I am using image analysis to
>measure the area and thickness of cell walls automatically and I would
>be interested in discussing the use of image analysis techniques
>generally in plant biology.  I'm also interested in investigating the
>extent to which crop plants adapt to mechanical stress in comparison to
>inherent varietal differences in anatomy that may reduce stem strength...

     I am currently doing research on the plant stem used for reeds for
musical instruments. I am using image analysis extensively to determine
average cell wall sizes of "good" vs. "bad" reeds, the deposition of salival
components in the cell walls as the reed are played on, and overall shape
patterns for the finished reeds.
     I would like to know as well if these techniques of image analysis and
three-dimensional reconstruction of cell ultrastructure are being used by more
than a handful of people out there. Problem? Pitfalls? Equipment,software?

Donald Casadonte