BLUEBERRY (Vaccinium angustifolium Ait.) AND ALLERGIES

Jin Aye Lim ftjalim at atlas.cs.upei.ca
Tue May 26 20:25:02 EST 1992

I wonder if anyone who reads this newsgroup could help me.  Has there been
any published research on Vaccinium angustifolium Ait. (a.k.a. low-bush
blueberry) or related species on its/their uses in relieving allergy, especially
asthma symptoms?  I have been told that the dried leaves and small twigs
have been used by North Americian natives in one of their traditional herbal
remedies for allergy treatment.

Herbal teas seem to be gaining popularity among many people these days.  It
would be interesting to find out whether the herbs/flowers/fruits used in
these concoctions have other possible "medicinal" properties.

I would appreciate any information on the matter and can be reached at the
following address.

Thank you.

Jin Aye Lim
Prince Edward Island Food Technology Centre
P.O. Box 2000
Charlottetown, P.E.I.
Canada C1A 7N8
E-mail: ftjalim at atlas.cs.upei.ca