wildflower to newly cultivated varieties book?

Vince Summers vsummers at polaris.cv.nrao.edu
Wed May 27 13:17:37 EST 1992

     Many times I've purchased varieties of outdoor plants that are,
naturally, appealing to the eye.  My wife in particular likes these.
I oftentimes find that these are derived somewhere in the past from
native wildflowers.  Is there a "hand holdable" book that lists the
basic parentage of such new cultivars?  What is its title?
     As an aside--Does anyone out there get just a little disgusted
when they go to their local store and find that, although they live
in the east, all that the store carries is California wildflowers?

Vince Summers

vsummers at polaris.cv.nrao.edu