California wildflowers

BIOHEAD GELLMORE at PEARL.TUFTS.EDU
Wed May 27 16:36:00 EST 1992

Having lived in both CA and MASS, I wonder if the commercial bias
toward CA wildflowers is due to their less exotic reputation as pretty
and seemingly non-allergenic. For example, one can list any number of
attractive CA wildflowers, but how many can we list from the East?
Goldenrod? Joe Pye Weed? Aster? My sense is that the East has fewer
varieties of attractive species such as Lupines, Bluets, and Irises then
than does CA, drenched as it is is MANY species of Lupinus, Mimulus, poppies,
Larkspur, composites (Layia, Blenosperma), Limnanthes, Dodecatheon, and
Orthocarpus. I think sheer numbers of conspicuously attractive species
in CA greatly exceed those in the east.