California wildflowers

Tony Travis ajt at swan.doc.ic.ac.uk
Thu May 28 07:27:54 EST 1992

GELLMORE at PEARL.TUFTS.EDU (BIOHEAD) writes:
: Having lived in both CA and MASS, I wonder if the commercial bias
: toward CA wildflowers is due to their less exotic reputation as pretty
: and seemingly non-allergenic. For example, one can list any number of
: attractive CA wildflowers, but how many can we list from the East?
: Goldenrod? Joe Pye Weed? Aster? My sense is that the East has fewer
: varieties of attractive species such as Lupines, Bluets, and Irises then
: than does CA, drenched as it is is MANY species of Lupinus, Mimulus, poppies,
: Larkspur, composites (Layia, Blenosperma), Limnanthes, Dodecatheon, and
: Orthocarpus. I think sheer numbers of conspicuously attractive species
: in CA greatly exceed those in the east.

Maybe Californian wild flowers less exotic because they are less
sensitive to earthquakes than those in the east ;-)

Seriously, though, the commercial bias must represent the results of
market research and may reflect a desire to identify with the
Californian lifestyle by people who are buying decorative plants.

My living room looks like part of an Amazonian rain forest so maybe I'm
unconciously trying to do my bit for the planet by recreating this type
of habitat around my TV ...

	Tony

--
    Tony Travis <ajt at uk.ac.sari.rri>  | Dr. A.J.Travis