California wildflowers

rpayne at KEAN.UCS.MUN.CA rpayne at KEAN.UCS.MUN.CA
Thu May 28 11:12:41 EST 1992

I think there is a more serious side to the commercial wildflower
business which should be considered.  Here in Newfoundland, eastern Canada,
where I live it is possible to walk into any large store and buy a packet
of 'wildflower seed'.  None of the species contained in these mixtures are
indigenous to this area. Eventually some will escape from gardens (as
foxgloves and lupins have done already).  Little thought seems to have been
given to the environmental consequences of alien weeds escaping from
artificial wildflower meadows. I was 'amused' to note that a major Canadian
wildlife organisation, which is continually preaching about the dangers of
introducing alien animals, is actually selling packets of wildflower seeds
as a fundraising venture.    Ron Payne