Hello from an herbalist

Tony Travis ajt at swan.doc.ic.ac.uk
Sun May 31 10:03:48 EST 1992

aphrk at Msu.oscs.montana.edu writes:
: I am very glad to see this new newsgroup.  Rec.gardens just does not
: do it for me.  I am primarily an herbalist (i.e., someone who studies
: the edible, poisonous and medicinal uses of plants) and secondly a
: self-taught botanist.  Though my training does not include such things
: as biotech and molecular biology, etc. I am very interested in these
: subjects.

The BIOSCI/bionet groups were set up to promote contact between
professional biologists and are more 'academic' than groups like
sci.bio or rec.gardens. I don't imply any criticism of the other groups
by this.  I am just pointing out that the charter of bionet.plants is
to discuss any aspect of plant biology.

This group is certainly the right one for you Robyn, but I hope
everyone recognises that rec.gardens is a better forum for posting
articles of a non-scientific nature.  However, it is perfectly
reasonable to post articles about any scientific aspect of gardening
here.  Especially, as with the 'Californian wildfowers' thread, when
the wider implications of 'escapes' of foreign species from cultivation
are being discussed.

: I have been a consultant to some natural products chemists here at Montana
: State University and have worked on some simple extractions (TLC) of
: Montana's medicinal plants.  I hope there are other natural products
: chemists out there that will take part in this newsgroups too!

Me too Robyn - 'Botany' is a very broad subject and one of the goals of
this forum is to promote an exchange of ideas between all sorts of
different people with a common interest in plant biology.  I did some
work a while ago on the use of 'aspirin' as an anti-transpirant.  Has
anyone discovered why salicylic acid accumulates in willow bark?

	Tony

--
    Tony Travis <ajt at uk.ac.sari.rri>  | Dr. A.J.Travis