In article <1992Jul9.171135.777 at mips2.ma30.bull.com>, horvath at granite.ma30.bull.com (John Horvath) writes:
>> The reason for the claims about Touch-Me-Not/Jewelweed is that
> it has more water than most plants and it yields that water easily
> with simple crushing. The plant is usually found in the same area
> as poison ivy so its readily available.
> So it works because its acts like a nearby soapy water faucet, not
> because its an "antidote". If the skin already has a reaction, its
> too late for any of these things as the damage has been done. The best
> that can be hoped for is that it removes any further damage.
>>jhorvath at bull.com
Well, I'm sensitive to poison ivy and can add support to John's reply. If I
get into poison ivy (pulling it, not just casual contact) and can wash off soon
after, I don't get any rash. Soap and water, gasoline(not recommended,
although it does work) or jewelweed all work OK. Jewelweed is the most fun
though because you can play with the exploding seed pods too.
One other thing, if I already have a rash and I rub on jewelweed, I get relief
from itching for about an hour (it has a nice cool feeling as it evaporates),
but I've noticed no change in overall duration or severity of the rash itself.
This is the same relief that I get from any of those anti-itch lotions.
bye... another John
ja at gnv.ifas.ufl.edu