Green flowered Valerian

aphrk at Msu.oscs.montana.edu aphrk at Msu.oscs.montana.edu
Thu Jul 16 14:16:44 EST 1992

I found an unusual plant in the Valerianaceae family.  I am almost positive
that it is a species of Valeriana.  But, what is so unusual is that the
petals were green!  All our usual species here have white or pink petals.
I took the specimen to Montana State University where a botanist made a
cursory review of the local floras and could not find one that fit its
characteristics.  So... anyone out there have any ideas.  I have also
checked with a friend from Alberta who sent me the pages for Valerianaceae
in the Waterton and Alberta floras.  It wasn't there either.

Thanks,  Robyn Klein