So what IS Suberin?

nigel at pathos nigel at pathos
Sat Jul 4 12:39:42 EST 1992

Hi,

Can anybody out there tell me exactly what "suberin" is?  Ok, it's the  water
proof material found in the kasperian strip in plant roots.  It's found in cork
and in the cells around the abscission zone in leaves and fruit, but what is it?

The closest I could find to a definition suggested that it was a mixture of long
and short chain fatty acids and various phenolic compounds... is that really as
much as we know?

thanx

-nigel